Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Seven Emergency Preparedness Tips
Call SERVPRO of Bartow County for 24/7 Emergency Restoration Services
If a disaster strikes, will you be ready?
In recent years, many different types of disasters have affected the United States. Flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and blizzards are natural disasters that can threaten your home, business and community. SERVPRO of Bartow County wants you and your customers to be aware of the steps to take to help prepare for Mother Nature’s worst.
It is important to prepare before a disaster occurs. Consider the following steps to help you better prepare for an emergency:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts.
- Develop and test emergency communication plans.
- Assemble update emergency supplies.
- Learn about local hazards and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
You can reach SERVPRO of Bartow County at (770) 387-7455
Do Air Purifiers Remove Mold?
Call SERVPRO of Bartow County for mold removal (770)387-7455
The short answer is yes, but to understand why and how air purifiers can be used to remove mold spores from the air, we need to take a closer look. In this article we will explore a few of the more commonly asked questions regarding air purifiers and mold removal. Hopefully it can help you to better understand how mold grows and how air purifiers can help prevent mold from spreading.
Call SERVPRO of Bartow County for a mold removal estimate (770) 387-7455
How does mold grow?
Mold is one of the most commonly found lifeforms on the planet and it reproduces or grows via spores. Spores can be carried by air currents and spread to environments it finds suitable to take root and grow (typically a cool damp area with poor air movement and minimal sunlight). It can be transferred from surface to surface by direct contact as well. Mold can be a very difficult thing to contain under certain conditions, but not all mold is bad. Penicillin mold, is a naturally occurring mold that has been used to derive the antibiotic penicillin. For the purpose of this article we will be referring to types of household mold that occur after water damage or exposure to the outdoors.
How Do Air Purifiers Remove Mold?
Mold spores are typically between 1-30 microns in size, which means that by using specialized filters called HEPA filters, mold spores can be trapped and removed from the air. Filtering the air in a contained contaminated areas with a HEPA filter will help prevent mold from traveling to non-contaminated areas as well as, reduce the number of airborne spores in the contained area.The goal of any mold removal is to remove, contain, or incapsulate all of the mold spores.
How Do HEPA Air Purifiers Work? What Is A HEPA Filter?
Many air purifiers utilize HEPA filters to remove contaminates such as pollen, pet dander, dust mites, tobacco smoke, mold spores and many other types of particulate matter. HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air so a HEPA filter is a high-efficiency particulate air filter. The way air purifiers typically work is by forcing contaminated air through one or more HEPA filters. These HEPA filters are designed to trap airborne particles greater than 0.3 microns in size. This effectively “cleans” the air and prevents contaminates from spreading to other areas.
When Should You Call A Professional?
This is going to be based on your comfort level and aptitude for home repair. Keep in mind that for most people, our homes are our largest investment and often garner professional repairs. There are all sorts of online resources for mold removal. We would suggest looking to government agencies like FEMA or the EPA or reputable privately held companies like the IICRC.
Here are some reasons you should consider calling in the professionals:
- The mold may already be spreading which creates a nightmare for the unexperienced to contain mold spores
- Spores will most likely be embedded in furniture and other porous objects, requiring additional specialized cleaning treatment.
- If your property has a history of leaks or condensation issues
Call SERVPRO of Bartow County for mold removal (770) 387-7455
Valentine's Date Night Package Contest
How many candy hearts can you count?
Are you one of our local insurance agent?
Do you work at one of our local insurance office?
Could you use a night out with your special someone?
Then all you have to do is answer one more question correctly...How many hearts are in the jar?
The rules are pretty simple...Like SERVPRO of Bartow County's Facebook page and comment on the linked contest post with how many candy hearts you think are in the jar. Who ever guess the number or comes the closest will win SERVPRO of Bartow County's Valentine's Date Night Package.
We will announce the winner via Facebook, February 13th. SERVPRO of Bartow County would like to wish everyone the best of luck and a Happy Valentines Day!
Dangers of Extreme Cold
While your home can get damaged due to winter weather and extreme cold, your personal health is also at risk.Fifty-three people died and three were injured due to extreme cold in 2015. It is important to be aware of the effect extremely cold temperatures can have on you. The two main conditions to be aware of are frostbite and hypothermia.
Frostbite is caused when your skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Physical symptoms are white or grayish-yellow skin, skin that feels unusually firm or waxy numbness.
Hypothermia is when your body temperature falls to an abnormally low temperature, caused from long exposure to cold weather. Signs of hypothermia include shivering, exhaustion, confusion, fumbling hands, memory loss, slurred speech, and drowsiness. If someone's body temperature is below 95°F, seek medical attention immediately.
To avoid these conditions, stay indoors if possible. If not, dress warm in layers and try to keep dry.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That's why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO of Bartow County is so important. Just go to www.SERVPRObartowcounty.com on your mobile phone or call (770) 387-7455 to get the team that's faster to any size disaster. We're a leader in giving control back to homeowners, property managers, and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water or fire. So weather you're responsible for 1,000 square feet or 100,000 - be ready for the worst with the very best: Your trusted, local SERVPRO Professionals.
National Influenza Vaccination Week is Comming!
If you haven't had a flu shot yet, you should probably consider it...
Why SERVPRO? Because we care!
Starting around 2005, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) established the National Influenza Vaccination week "to highlight the importance of continuing flu vaccination through the holiday season and beyond." In 2017, by the end of November only about 41% of the recommended US population has been vaccinated.
If you've already gotten the flu, you can still get vaccinated to protect you against other strands of the flu, according to the CDC. People with high risk of complications from the flu include young children, pregnant women, people with certain chronic health conditions, and people over the age of 65 should get vaccinated. Although anyone is at risk of getting the flu, for high-risk people, hospitalization or death is more likely than for others.
According to the CDC. "flu vaccination can reduce flu illness, doctors' visits, and missed work and school due to flu-related hospitalizations."
Get a flu shot today to protect yourself and your loved ones!
How SERVPRO of Bartow County Cleans-up Mold In Your Cartersville Home
SERVPRO of Bartow County can make it "Like it never even happened."
When there's a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. Fortunately, SERVPRO of Bartow County have training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solutions, the general mod remediation process stays the same. the following steps illustrate a "typical" mold removal process.
Call SERVPRO of Bartow County (770) 387-7455 your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call SERVPRO of Bartow County call center. A representative will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
- Inspection and Damage Assessment - your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water can can be hidden from plain view.
- Mold Containment - Various containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Air Filtration - Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. SERVPRO technicians utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in progress.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials - The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Anti-fungal and antimicrobial treatment will be used to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new colonies from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to re-mediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings - SERVPRO of Bartow County Franchise Professionals clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, and other restorable items affected by mold. They use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings. They are also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Restoration - Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, sub-floors, and other building materials may be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas of rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Bartow County understand mold and mold growth and have the training and equipment to remediate mold in your home or business.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Bartow County is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property. We are proud to be an active member of the Cartersville community and want to pitch in and help make our community the best it can be.